”home””about””blog””shop”

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

WHAT TO DO WITH A SMALL OUTDOOR SPACE? Part 2

The beautiful day we're having today in Chicago reminded me that I forgot to post part 2 of a post.  You may remember from a previous post {found here} that I posed the question - What do you do with a small outdoor space?  Specifically, I was trying to figure out how you can you enjoy a gorgeous outdoor umbrella on a balcony that is only 5' x 9'?

You may also remember that a recent trip to New Orleans provided Mr. Squareview and I with an idea to answer that question.


Here is that idea in practice (Sorry, I forgot to take any before pictures).

WHAT YOU'LL NEED ::
1. A 24 inch high PVC tube with a diameter slightly wider than the post of the umbrella
2. Metal or study plastic zip ties

HOW TO ::
1. Using the zip ties, attach the PVC tube to a secure section of the deck, preferably a corner like the two images below.
2. Place umbrella in the tube like the 3rd image.
3. Secure the post of the umbrella to the balcony with another zip tie.

Voila! Your done.  Seriously, that's it.  If you were uber creative, you would likely spray paint the PVC tube to match the balcony.  I didn't do so because 1.  I thought of it only after I had already secured it to the deck and 2.   My furniture covered it enough that it is not too much of an eyesore.
Here are my final results.  All you need to enjoy this space fully is some sort of yummy frozen cocktail.  Summer is officially open!  I would love to hear about or see any pictures of your outdoor spaces.





No comments:

Post a Comment