”home””about””blog””shop”

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HAPPY LEAP DAY!

I love Leap Day.  I'm not entirely sure why, it's just a day I've always found fascinating. It gives us an entire extra day to do whatever we want.  The possibilities are endless!  One of my friends even had her son on Leap Day and I just learned that children born on Feb 29th should be known as "leapling" or "leaper" - I doubt it if his high school friends use that as a nick name.  Today, he's either 16 or 4 - I think when he makes his way to the DMV he'll make a strong case for 16 J

Leap Years were first introduced over 2000 years ago with the transition from the Roman Calendar to the Julian Calendar in 45 BCE and has been associated with age-old Leap Day traditions and folklore ever since.

One of the most famous traditions being the woman's  "privilege" of proposing marriage to men instead of the other way around.  This one goes back almost four centuries and apparently any man who refused such a proposal owed his spurned suitor a silk gown and a kiss — provided she was wearing a red petticoat at the moment she popped the question.  Where to these things come from?!?  Love it!

Fast forward 400 years to last Thursday's 30 Rock and now you can celebrate Leap Day with some new folklore.  Happy Leap Day, Leap Day William! 

No comments:

Post a Comment