”home””about””blog””shop”

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

TO PRINT OR NOT TO PRINT....

When I set off on my little shop opening adventure, I created a pretty simple business model. I was going to design printable social stationery, customize it for my clients, and then send them the digital files for them to print themselves.  I even put together a handy dandy "what's next?" guide.



I was just going to sit back and let all other lovers of DIY start placing orders. Then an interesting thing happened... After practicing my elevator pitch on all my friends and family I had the EXACT same conversation with each and every one. It went something like this:

Me: Well, that's the plan for the shop. What do you think?

Friend or Family Member: So I get you'll create these custom designs for clients but then what?

Me: I'll send the final customized file to them digitally. Then they print it a home or send it off to their local printer. It's totally up to them.

Friend or Family Member:  Why would anyone want to do that?  I don't think people will get it.

Now originally, I thought this was just the opinion of folks my Mom & In-Laws age.  Even though they don't act it, they are definitely part of the Medicare eligible set so DIY printing probably isn't their thing.  Boy, was I wrong.  I talked to ladies in their 20's, 30's, & 40's and they weren't having any of it either.  At least not for the stationery designs (party invites, on the other hand, made more sense to them to print themselves. Not that they actually would, mind you.)

Obviously, that got my wheels turning and left me with no choice.  Now I have to start researching printers.  My simple plan just got a bit more complicated.  First printers comes printers, then shipping costs.  Boo!  Stay tuned for that adventure.

What do you think?  Would you print stationery and party invites at home?  I'd love to hear from you!


2 comments:

  1. just Google printables......there are so many diy's of course...or i may take to printer on a memory stick. hey buy the sticks in bulk and send as a business card with the printable on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea about sending out a memory stick. Thanks for your comment, Lauralee!

    ReplyDelete