”home””about””blog””shop”

Thursday, March 22, 2012

THE IMPORTANCE OF A SPIFFY FONT

 If you've been reading my posts you will know that I've recently become obsessed with creating submissions for the Minted.com design challenges. Through this process I've noticed something that I wanted to share.  It's the fonts that make the design (well at least complete the design).  

You'll see a great design that conceptually should work, but there is something that just isn't.  You won't be able to spot it immediately, but believe me, it's likely the font that is making it fall flat.  Now here is the conundrum... Where do I find these font to pull everything together?  You may be new to this like I was so I'll explain (maybe over explain for some of you J).  There are thousands upon thousands of fonts out there and I found the ones I'm drawn to are usually not free - I know I say it a lot - but seriously, what is a girl to do?

Obviously I don't design professionally, so spending hundreds of dollars or more for a font for a Minted challenge just isn't feasible no matter how cool the end result would be.  So I set off on a mission to find fonts I love for free (or for donations only).  Here are a few of my favorites.

 found on Lost Type
 found on Lost Type 
 found on Lost Type 
found on How About Orange
 found on Lost Type 

And if you search long and hard and keep your eyes open you can find some fun ones through fonts.com.  I've used both of the below for designs ( you may even recognize Black Jack in my blog's tagline).  I like that even though they are both script fonts they still have a touch of the fresh and modern.

What is your favorite? 

No comments:

Post a Comment